School has begun and before you know it, winter will be upon us! As we enter into the cold season, many of our customers ask us how to care for their hardwood flooring during the winter months.
When it comes to wood or other hard surface flooring, it is important to keep them clean. We want to make sure your floors are protected from extra debris that can be tracked in from the outside, and the salt and sand can scratch wood and eat away at protective finishes.
It’s also important to realize that proper vacuuming and stain treatment / protection goes a long way toward keeping carpets looking new.
Therefore, we decided to compile a simple list for you to follow when the winter months come, so that your floors and carpets stay good as new!
1. Make sure you put floor mats on both the outside and the inside of entry ways.
2. Have a specific place to put wet shoes so that the excess water doesn’t get to your floors. Consider having back up mats to ensure that they are always clean and dry to best absorb water.
3. Vacuum the salt and / or sand right away. Some debris is bound to be tracked in your house past the floor mats, so be sure to vacuum any visible salt or sand so it doesn’t get into the flooring or carpets!
4. Be sure to use a recommended cleaner for floors, since not all of them work as well as others. Ask us here at Sparkle floors what we recommend
5. Get your carpets cleaned now! Most manufactures recommend cleaning your carpet every 18 months, and now is a great time since the winter usually leaves us indoors. Clear out that dust and dandruff left behind now and don’t breathe it in all winter!